Thursday, November 5, 2009

A New Adventure

I'm having a new adventure. I fell and broke my right wrist and shoulder blade. Shoulder blades apparently do not matter, but wrists do, particularly if they are attached to your dominate hand.
Mine is.
I also split my lip. That was taken care of by a stitch and antibiotics. But my wrist will be in a cast and sling for four weeks. I actually think the sling is more helpful for my shoulder. At any rate I need help.
The first thing I discovered as I sat down in my recliner was that it was meant to be used by a person who had use of his/her right hand. I couldn't raise the foot lever.
The second thing I discovered was that I couldn't fasten or unfasten my bra. Even if I pulled the fastener around to the front (women understand this), the fingers on my right hand are basically useless for small muscle tasks.
I couldn't put on my socks (I can now with enough time) or tie my shoes, hang up my clothes, or put on my sling.
Here is a list of things I found my solo left hand useful for:
sponge baths, putting on make-up, brushing teeth with an electric toothbrush, combing the front of my hair, putting on deodorant, loading and unloading the dishwasher, making the bed, folding the clothes except for large items like sheets or making sockballs, feeding the cat, and typing with one finger on the computer.
I'm praying that the Lord will help me learn more about Him during this time, more about myself, and new ways of coping. So far I've learned that He is patient, I'm not, and I'm very thankful for my husband.
Insightfully yours,
Paulita

No comments:

Post a Comment