Tuesday, April 7, 2009

THORNS

Our neighbor has a lemon tree whose branches hang over our side of the fence. SO, we get to have Meyer lemons and they are good! I have learned to be careful of the huge thorns. I didn't know that lemons had thorns until my experience with this tree. They are treacherous, and they hurt when they stick you or grab your clothes.

I had often wondered why God made thorns on a beautiful lemon tree, or for that matter, on even more beautiful roses. Then I heard someone say on the radio this morning that roses (etc.) didn't originally have thorns. They came as the result of Adam and Eve's disobedience to God. Being the doubter that I sometimes am, I looked up the Scripture reference he gave, and behold:
"Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life.
It will produce thorns and thistles for you
and you will eat the plants of the field."
Genesis 3:17-18

There are many other references to thorns in the Bible, but as I looked at the thorns on the lemon tree, I thought only of the crown of thorns Jesus wore when He was crucified. Until now, I had not thought of the thorns being a symbol of the curse God put on mankind as the result of the original sin. But there displayed on Jesus head was the curse, and there He was dying for my sins.
Insightfully yours,
Paulita

No comments:

Post a Comment