Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Pruning, Disbudding, and Thinning

Pruning   
     When I prune my roses in January, I have to realize that when I'm finished, I will have only three or four canes sticking up and pointing in different directions. The pruning looks quite severe and indeed it is, but that's the way I get the biggest and most beautiful roses for the next season. A healthy plant is one that is  constantly renewed, so I try to substitute new canes for old each year. Blooms are produced on new wood.

Disbudding
     How disheartening to twist off all but one bud in a cluster of camellia buds. Wouldn't I get more color if I let them all mature and open? But by taking off all but one bud, I get larger blossoms, ones that look better in flower arrangements for my dinner table or for corsages. It's a choice I have as the gardener.

Thinning
     Have you noticed that nearly every package of seeds tells you to sow the seeds and then when the plants are up a few inches, thin them to six inches apart? How can such a smart idea seem like such a waste? Look at spring poppies and lupine that cover the hills. God sows His seeds freely. But gardening experts are knowledgeable, and I'm still learning. Vegetables, especially, need their own space to produce extraordinary fruit.

     As a busy person, I have found I need to exercise the same discipline I use in the garden when choosing activities for my day, week, or year. Perhaps you, too, have trouble saying "no" when you see needs all around that you know you could meet. How do you prune, disbud, or thin your activities so you can be the most productive and still have time to grow personally? Who else can fill those jobs?
     Suppose God planned something for you, that only you can do? Find that, and give it your all.
Insightfully yours,
Paulita

No comments:

Post a Comment