Wednesday, April 24, 2019

An Ornamental Shrub?

     What joy can there be in untangling stickery  berry vines in the fall, pruning thorny rose bushes on a midwinter's day or coaxing a less than abundant summer garden to grow? Even an avid gardener finds some drudgery in his usually enjoyable hobby. However, weary muscles, dry hands, and dirty fingernails are soon forgotten when he discovers God's truths clothed in nature's exhibits, along the path or among the rows.
     Jesus taught His disciples many lessons using parables from earthly things. During the times when my hands are busy in potting mix or pulling weeds and my mind is free, He teaches me, too. Undoubtedly you've made similar discoveries -- some, perhaps, that have meaning only for you. Here is one just for me.
     When we lived in the East Bay area of California, we planted two kinds of grapes: Concord and Thompson Seedless. Both grew well over the top of the fence and looked healthy; however, only one, the Concord, bore fruit and did so year after year. Each winter we faithfully pruned both grapes so they would produce fruit the following year, but one remained no more than an ornamental fence-cover. After several years, we finally took it out.
     Jesus said,"I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." (John 15:1-2, 5)
     Periodically I ask myself, "Am I one who bears fruit for the Father, or am I just an ornamental shrub?
Insightfully yours,
Paulita

No comments:

Post a Comment