Saturday, March 26, 2011

Please Forgive Me

He walked into my house happily as he always does, but when my little second grade student realized he had left his homework at school, he was distraught. His mother would be mad, he couldn't get his work done, he would be in great trouble at home.
His packet of homework wasn't due until Thursday, and this was only Monday, I reasoned. He had time to complete his work if he brought it home tomorrow.
But nothing I said consoled him. He couldn't concentrate on anything I had for him to do. He had forgotten his homework and his mother would be mad at him.
Finally I said, "Would you like to write your mother a letter and tell her you are sorry you forgot your homework and you will bring it home tomorrow?"
He brightened up. "Yes," he said and we began the letter. He wrote and I spelled what he couldn't.
"Dear Mom,
"I'm sorry I didn't bring my homework home. I will bring it tomorrow. Please forgive me. I love you."
When he signed his name, he relaxed. For the rest of our lesson, he didn't mention the forgotten homework.

Deep down inside we sense that sin requires payment, and we are right. We need forgiveness - the kind God offers.
Isaiah 53:6 , speaking of Jesus, says," We all like sheep, have gone astray...and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."
Insightfully yours,
Paulita

No comments:

Post a Comment